Monday, February 11, 2008

Celebrate!

Grace finished Singapore Math 3A today! I was so excited she made it through the workbook. The last section was kind of tough (342 divided by 4 for example) but she got through the long division. Now as we celebrate I realize that the next book is not in fact 3B but that 3A was divided into a part 1 and a part 2!! :( Whoops. So does this mean we're a semester behind?? Well so what I guess. She does math in the workbook at home almost every day (minus our 2 parent partnership class days). Some of the work in the new book will be on measurements and fractions and therefore a welcome change to the multiplication and division. So some sections will go fast I think. If not...we'll relax. Better to get all the multiplication and division facts and other math concepts down solid than race through for the sake of finishing a book "on time". Besides, when I went through with Sonlight (online) the curriculum we were intending to order, it cautioned me against 3A and 3B for 3rd grade. I thought it was a mistake at the time since she breezed through 2A and B last year. But now I'll just take that as a little validation for taking a relaxed approach through the program this year.

Today I have a sick big kid (Elli). Grace is such a helper though. This little equestrian lover has made herself a fleece saddle blanket, strapped it on with rope, then fitted herself with a big stuffed horse's bridle, made herself reins out of fingerknitting, and is busying herself as a "delivery horse" for her poor sister. (She made her a jam/bread sandwich and had me fix it to her back on a napkin before heading out of the kitchen.) Well...Gracie did finish her math book (completing 1 1/2 assignments today) so I'm allowing this playtime. After lunch though, it's back to Colonial unit study. If Karson ever goes back to sleep after his 4 hour morning nap....His ear infections are back, too. So maybe this will be a day when we just celebrate math being done and the rest of the day is independent reading and stuff. Not sure how to count Grace's horse stuff. Doesn't exactly fit under my "Horse Unit Study" category.....does it? :) Maybe we'll go with "Horse Unit Study" instead of Colonial after lunch since apparently she's in the mood for horses.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home