Friday, February 01, 2008

Homeschooling 2007-2008 Year

I have to laugh at myself as I read back on what curriculums we like and considered over the past few years. I've recently come to the conclusion that I no longer care- they all seem to have their own benefits or disadvantages. The best learning that takes place aren't even contained in our "schoolbooks."

It seems like everywhere around us, friends are adopting! This has been a great opportunity to learn about other countries, watch their travels through blogs, pics and video. As we consider adoption in our future (although I must admit, it seems to be far off in our future), we are learning about countries that I hadn't ever heard about when I was in school. Kazahkstan, for example. So for school, we should probably be recording this and make a unit study out of it, record it all pretty.....But we're not! We just check the blogs, emails, maps, talk, and look for connections in every day life.

Instead we've been a little obsessed with sewing/handcrafts lately with Christmas and forming a new chapter of the Hope Chest Society. Now I'm thinking we'll have to make a quilt! Embroider 12x12 or 18x18 muslin squares with a map and the flag of a country, and then the names of new friends adopted from that country. Ooooh, how can we do this.... I think I'm on to something. Maybe it could just be the country of origin of a person, not limited to adoption. This could encorporate our international students....Our "homestay" daughters from Japan, for example. Ellie's friends from Korea. That actually sounds like a lot of work. I like the idea of lining the table with maps from around the world and covering it with a clear vinyl tablecloth. We could put a sticker or a flag or a dot where our friends are from or have visited.....that sounds a lot easier.

Math is not as fun this year with Singapore 3A....we don't have those base 10 blocks this time, and I think that really helped last year. We're trying to transition from relying so much on those manipulatives. So instead we are incorporating a small drill and practice session into each lesson, and have been trying to find a music cd that is nice to listen to. Found one! Classical Math to Classical Music definately gets the facts drilled without an annoying "rock" or "rap" version. It's still a little annoying getting 3x3 is 9.... 3 x4 is 12.... stuck in your head when you already know the facts but just have the tune playing over an over again.... But I think it's working!

Since Grace is enjoying embroidery and sewing, I'm tempted to have her embroider her multiplication facts or conversion tables (quarts to gallons, ounces to cups...) on a cute apron or potholder. But she just started an alphabet sampler that seems to be wearing her out already. It looks like the beginning of embroider overload, especially if we start an international birth quilt.

We're cooking, measuring, estimating.....before long it'll be gardening season and she'll get to measure and plot out her own raised bed. We're playing games, she's shopping with her own money....I think that's enough math enrichment. I don't really love Singapore this year, but it's fine. I'm not changing curriculum mid-year. Next year we're going Montessori I think.

Happy homeschooling today! 5:30 am and time for me to start the day....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home