Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Sick Days

Today we have a sick day.....and when one is sick, it seems to affect everyone else because our routine is disrupted. We went to the dr at 10, which meant leaving the house by 9:30, which meant school at 9 didn't really happen. I was too busy taking everyone's temperatures and getting ready to leave the house. At least this time I remembered the diaper bag AND food/snacks etc for Karson AND an extra outfit. (Last time I ventured out of my routine, I remembered the bag w/diapers, but forgot the food and had a hungry and tired toddler on my hands.)

Of course since we got to the dr's office and missed school for this, we found out it's just a nasty virus which will need to run its course. Well...good news that it isn't strep or walking pneumonia! So we celebrated by getting icecream for the sore throats (and a little early lunch), and I stopped by the grocery store on the way home. By the time we got home it was 12:30 and Karson was due for a nap. He was a basketcase in the grocery store. Tried shoplifting an Almond Joy at the checkout counter. Opened it even. So I bought it and am keeping it up high until I figure out how I can eat it without feeling guilty. I can't give it to him, that'd be rewarding him for misbehavior, wouldn't it? anyway- we were both ready for nap. Elli did take a nap and before Grace went to find her Gameboy, Webkinz, or a book, I decided I should probably address the whole school thing with her. Except we needed to unload groceries and I was going to make a monster batch of spaghetti sauce....So for home economics 101, she helped unload groceries, which does count since she is still learning why I put certain items in their particular places. Then we made the spaghetti sauce together.

When she found an empty box, she asked if she could use it for a craft project. It was going to be a home for her horse webkinz, so I suggested it be a Horse Habitat. What would a horse like and need in a place to live? A real one, not in Webkinz world. So we turned it into a school project: I read aloud a couple chapters of Brighty of the Grand Canyon while she worked.

Then we practiced her spelling. I turned her challenge words into cards for the Spelling Bee game we have, which we then played for a while. That's about all the official school we had today. She read a lot (Dragon Rider) and helped with the spaghetti sauce (for future recipes) and tonight's dinner of Ginger Carrot Soup with homemade bread. She made a checklist for how to clean the bathroom. Not really any math today. No grammar. Exceptin that we wasn't talkin lak theese. So technically, we study grammar every day, by the speech we use in daily conversation! We did read some blogs of friends in Africa and enjoyed some cultural insights. So we had a little social studies today, too. And now, I'm happy to say, school is done and kids are in bed mostly asleep.

Maybe tomorrow will be a more "offically" productive day. I really like the real school stuff we do. The science unit study involves the microscope this week.......if we ever get to it!!! Of course, it would be even more fun if we HAD a microscope, but we have cool books about the microscope and cool websites to visit and we'll be keeping an eye out for them when we're out and about. Someone must have one we could look at....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home