Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Sick of being SICK

I don't think I do well with long term illness. (My months on bedrest and recovery from surgery were the longest months of my life.) Elli's been sick since Saturday night with a fever, and now Grace just came up to me and she, too, now has a fever over 100 degrees. We're talking fever, headache, achey feeling, coughing, cold-like symptoms, no stomach flu. So it could be worse. But in some ways this frusterates me more because it's almost like they're not sick. Just a fever?? Get over it! Take your tylenol or junior strength Advil as the case may be, and get better. Yesterday I was the good mommy making homemade soup and stocking up on soup and kleenex, etc. Today I started out making snickerdoodles and with a secret plan for surprises for Valentine's day. But tis all thwarted now! No one will be feeling well enough to enjoy the cookies or the secret surprises I had planned! And I have to cancel tonight's plans to teach at church since Martin's working late and chances are Karson has it, too, and will just be passing it on to the kids in the nursery..... The girls might be fine by themselves going to bed early, but not to babysit Karson of course.



I only have 3 kids and this is not a serious illness- I really am thankful for that, because I could have a half dozen or more with the stomach flu..... I just feel so out of my element. No lessons to teach. The kids are sleeping long stretches of the day, or are cuddled up with their quilts while I read aloud to them. Minus Karson of course. He's having a hay-day with the markers, hot wheels, and stepstool. I'm still running after him a lot. But I'm getting lots of laundry done and the house is really clean. I finished this week's lessons and have gone back to ones I've missed in my Bible study. So I guess I'll take advantage of my next little window of time by organizing a drawer or a box, and getting caught up on my quilting homework.

So now is when we look for how to bless them instead of focusing on how I'm feeling a little bored with this. This doesn't say much for my attention span I guess. And you can probably guess that mercy and words of encouragement are not the highest ranking on my gifts/talents/abilities profile?? Looking for what can get checked off a list.....when this is probably not the time for that. Still..this is what homeschoolingmama does. I make favorite foods, I put on fresh sheets, I vacuum and make things pretty to try to make my little pumpkins comfortable. I pray for them.... What was wrong with Martha doing stuff? Was it the doing or was it the attitude? Mary sat there and just was..... I'm here. I'll sit with them. But I just can't sit still and do nothing. ???

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home